The Cantons are a mountainous country bordering the Weald and Darthaca. The Cantons are a loose federation of enclaves not under a king or foreign ruler, although some parts were briefly under Darthacan rule. The Cantons are largely of orthodox Quintarian religion at the time of The Hallowed Hunt, primarily by conversion than by conquest.
The area around Greenwell town is known for its cheese production. Martensbridge is noted for its glasswork, and is also a center of silk production. The Cantons are also known for its mercenary companies.
Ingrey's wolf came from The Cantons.
Named populated places:
- Castle Martenden
- Freitten - town known for its university
- Greenwell town - town near Jurald Court, a few days ride from Martensbridge
- Idau - town roughly fifty miles west of Martensbridge
- Jurald Court - Penric's home is a large, sprawling, fortified 'farmhouse', commanding a valley in upland country, with the Raven Range to the south and higher peaks to the north
- Liest - border town with Darthaca
- Martenden - a hamlet near Castle Martenden, its growth stunted by Martensbridge
- Orbas - town to which Learned Tigney fled when his demon ascended
- Westria - lands to the west of Martensbridge, ruled by an earl palatine
Other named features:
- Crow River - flows east-west from the Raven Range
- Raven Range - mountain range forming the border with the Weald
- River Linnet - tributary of the Crow River, flows through Martensbridge
Behind the scenesEdit
Notes and References Edit
- ↑ Lois McMaster Bujold in a post to the Bujold mailing list, 25 March 2006, http://lists.herald.co.uk/pipermail/lois-bujold/2006-March/014735.html
- ↑ Lois McMaster Bujold in a response on Goodreads, 13 July 2015 - https://www.goodreads.com/author_blog_posts/8674050-penric-s-demon-sample-and-1st-link?comment=134714983#comment_134714983